Technological advancement has made emails an effective, fast and more appropriate way of communication. It is important to understand that the sender and the receiver have different perspective regarding the information contained in the email and the sender should spend ample time to make the email useful for its receiver.
Many professionals get loads of emails each day and only drop by to only those which seem relevant. It thus becomes imperative for senders to write effective emails that get clicked.
Follow these 25 email writing tips that will catch the readers eye:
1. Think before writing: Avoid writing unnecessary things that are not relevant to your topic. Think from the perspective of a reader and you will find out what things really need to be written.
2. Get personal: Don’t just write for the subscriber list, they are of least interesting to readers. Add a personal touch by writing as if you are emailing directly to the receiver.
3. Be helpful: Email is a two-way communication, so don’t send it only when you need their help or something else but also be helpful for them. Listen to what they say and reply in a generous way.
4. Emphasize on subject line: A meaningful subject line grabs more reader, so spend time to write one. This will make you email stand in the crowded inbox.
5. Be clear and concise: Readers don’t like reading long mails. Write them in a clear and short way, which will keep them engaged throughout the email.
6. Respect the time of reader: Don’t send an email until absolutely necessary because this may make the reader to avoid your emails later on.
7. Include questions in your email: This makes it more personal and interactive.
8. Don’t use blue prints: They tend to decrease the overall interest of the reader on your mail. Rather add a personal touch to make it more real.
9. Stop being a robot: To make each email different, avoid sending automated greeting, instead use different ones each time you reply like best wishes, warm regards, greetings or a simple thank you.
10. Learn from others: The best way to successful email writing is to get subscribed to excellent email lists and observe how they catch reader’s eye.
11. Avoid unnecessary attachments: Heavy attachments may be annoying to the readers. In addition, downloading them and reading them separately may bore them off. Instead copy the important part of it and paste it directly to your email.
12. Include a call to action: This will save time in sending repeated reminders and the reader may act straight in your first email.
13. Become a daredevil: Experiment with your emails. Who knows being different may work even better. Write in different tone or use power words to enhance your conversation.
14. Try to send prompt replies: Don’t make your readers wait for too long for your replies. Even if you are too busy just let them know when to expect your reply.
15. Use persuasive words in your emails: This will help the receiver to connect with you in an easy way.
16. Put a clear deadline: This may help readers to act to your mail in a more responsive way.
17. Don’t use “carbon copy” (cc) tab sparingly: It is essential to include the names of only those who are interested in the particular matter. Sending each mail to the entire mailing list may become annoying for those who have no use of it. Avoid bothering them until and unless necessary.
18. Avoid too much compliments: Remember the receiver will easily find out if you are speaking genuinely or throwing unnecessary ones, so be sensible.
19. Don’t use Bold fonts: Bold letter depicts “shouting” when used in emails. Avoid them.
20. Make yourself approachable: Use a genuine signature that contains your contact information. Use them in every email so that the receiver does not have to search it from your previous emails when required.
21. Be polite: This increases your chances of getting replies fast.
22. Never send jokes: Especially to your colleagues as it may ruin their productivity. Keep emails for more serious conversations.
23. Make proper formatting: Nobody wants to read a poorly formatted email.
24. Benefit your readers: This can be done by sharing a useful link or a valuable tip.
25. Proofread: This is the most important of all. Even though your spell checker will find most of the mistakes, it is better to proofread it manually before clicking the send button. A wrong spelling or grammar may put negative impact on the reader and you email may become unsuccessful.