(Last Updated On: May 4, 2018)Before talking of Limitations of WordPress, Why I should use WordPress and why I shouldn’t use the WordPress or Pro and Cons of using WordPress are some of interesting questions to handle. WordPress has become most popular blogging as well as designing platform which is massively used all over the world. WordPress is also largely used by web developers as content management system (CMS), provides ease and free of cost setups. Anybody with basic knowledge and little experience of web designing can build an engaging website or blog in no time. Where WordPress has a lot of benefits there are some weaknesses or limitations. I have held so many discussions regarding WordPress with my clients and developers and am desirous to share with you the limitations of WordPress. My purpose is not to criticize this platform but to make a point.
Security Issues of WordPress
One of the major limitations of WordPress is security, because being a very popular open source platform WordPress is often targeted by hackers. Security of WP is often challenged by hackers in following ways. Well these are not to deny such service providers at Canada Web Desing Services from the fact that they are good in security, but not every one is; so let get back to security issues of wp which are as under:-
- When you install a plugin from third party source it may contain malicious code which allow plugin creator to access your admin panel. Plugin creator can make changes to your WordPress website.
- The login location to WP installation is well known to hackers. On top of it, mostly users do not change their user name i:e “admin” by default. That way 60% of the problem of hacker ie login url and the user name is already know, the hacker is left with the effort of retrieving password only.
- The file location and the relation permissions are well known to everyone. Everyone knows about the location of sensitive files such as WP configuration file, install script etc. hackers may break the security of WP by accessing these files.
- SQL injection and URL insertion attacks can make WP vulnerable. Commands are sent to WP Database via URL parameters by hackers. These attacks can reveal important information that might be helpful for hackers to make modification to your content.
- Lack of awareness of web master thus allowing unchecked uploading of files is yet another aspects adding to the limitations of WordPress.
Consumes a lot of resources
Security isn’t the only limitation, other of its limitations including the fact that WP is resources heavy. WP consumes lot of resources as compared with joomla or drupal. You’ll have to install a lot of plugins, more you install WordPress plugins slower your site become. WordPress also consumes more server resources than plain html or PHP template site.
Customization may increase cost
The limitations of WordPress include Customizing of the website so created. Installation of WP site and theme is easy, but when changes or adjustments are needed, it may be time consuming. Modification in WP site requires knowledge and understanding of programming languages. Because every theme is implemented differently, developer has to familiarize with all themes before making any change.
The serious issue with WP websites that it frequently updates its core files, these updates often incompatible with older themes and plugins. If your site relies on older plugins you should have to keep updating your plugins to resolve compatibility issue.
Lack of flexibility
This is also major one of major limitations of WordPress because WP is designed for blogs and small content websites. If you want to develop a large website that is not utterly “standard”, it requires you to make many systematic changes. WP often do not perform well, in handling high database and number of pages. Moreover load time of webpages become slower. Though many articles at Word Press Archives of website indicate other way.
Uniqueness is also considered as serious limitation of WordPress. If you are starting with WP for your website, you may realize that there are some other sites using same theme, you’re no different. Due to this your website lost uniqueness and it looks like many other websites on internet, from business point of view it may affect your target customers.
WordPress is great but the limitations of WP insist us to think about to find their solution immediately or switch to another platform which will be free of risks and issues. If this platform has issues there are several ways to overcome the issues. Which I’ll discuss in my next article.